Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

decomeshwreathtutorialheader Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Deco Mesh has ben everywhere this year. It’s a really cool product that can be used to decorate so many things for a minimum cost. A friend asked me the other day to make a deco mesh wreath for an upcoming baby shower she is hosting. This entire cute wreath was made for $15 before I applied the 40% off coupon to Hobby Lobby.

Let’s get started.

howtomakemeshwreath1 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

All you need to start is a wire wreath from, pipe cleaners, and one wide roll of Deco Mesh. If you haven’t heard of Deco Mesh, it is a wide mesh ribbon that is pliable yet still holds it’s shape that is available at most large craft stores.

howtomakedecomeshwreath2 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Start by twisting pipe cleaners onto the entire wreath frame about 1 1/2 inches apart. Set any extra pipe cleaners to the side because you might need them later.

decomeshwreatmake4 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Start by pinching the end together and tie it down to the wreath form by placing it in the middle of a pipe cleaner and twist the pipe cleaner close.

decomeshwreathdiy5 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Now pull the mesh out about 5 or 6 inches from the twisted pipe cleaner and gather it together with your hands. Find the next open pipe cleaner and place the pinched piece into the pipe cleaner and twist. This will make a natural little bubble of Deco Mesh.

decomeshbabywreath6 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Keep going always trying to use the same length of Deco Mesh and attaching it to the wire frame with the pipe cleaners.

wreathtutorial8 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Eventually your wreath will start to look like this.

meshwreath10 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

If you keep going all the way around the wreath frame your Deco Mesh Wreath will look like this. That’s great but I wanted it a little bit fuller so I added more pipe cleaners in any empty places on the wreath frame and did a second layer of Deco Mesh using the same technique and a mix of the old and new pipe cleaners.

decomeshwreathpink11 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

I finished it by curling the end of the deco mesh into itself and attaching it with a pipe cleaner so you wouldn’t see any raw edges. This is the finished wreath two rows of Deco Mesh later. It’s fully, fluffy, and lovely.

To finish it off I just attached light pink feathers with clear drying glue and added the hand painted letter “P”.

girlbabyshowerdecomesh12 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

It’s great for a baby shower or you can change the colors to use for any holiday. The Deco Mesh part of the wreath took me less than 20 minutes to make.

Affordable, cute,  and fast? I’ll take it.

I hope you enjoy making your Deco Mesh Wreath. Any questions can be left in comments below and I’ll respond as fast as I can.

PinExt Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Don’t forget to follow along for tutorials! You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or subscribe via Email or RSS feed!

Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Bobbie

Bobbie is a homeschooling mom of three girls in the Houston area. Although most of her days are spent scrubbing up paint or ungluing her fingers, occasionally she also takes the time to burn dinner.
 Deco Mesh Wreath Tutorial

Latest posts by Bobbie (see all)

Related posts:

Comments

1. Belinda Craig says:

What did you use to attach the letter to the mesh wreath?

2. What size was the wire frame? And what was the width of the deco mesh you used?

Also, I have a 12″ wire wreath frame I would like to use and have no idea what width of mesh I should use… 4″? 6″? 10″? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much. Love your wreath! :)

3. Megan newton says:

Where did you purchase the pipe cleaners … If you wouldn’t mind can you email me

4. I made a wreath and did the outside wire with gold mesh and the inside with blue the is a college football wreath. It was a 18 in wire. When I made this at night looked great, but in the day you can see the green wire circle. Did I do something wrong or is this normal for mesh ?

5. Sandy Cravens says:

Love the wreath!!! Do you happen to have a tutorial for a pumpkin or a snowman. Trying to figure out how to make them both and your wreath was so easy to follow. Thanks so much for any help

• I do not have a tutorial for those. However I would use the same wire frame and then use a medium gage wire to make a spider web in the middle of the frame. It doesn’t have to be a perfect spider web, just criscross the wires and tie well to opposite sides of the frame. It can be very messy since it’ll be hidden, you just want the middle filled in to support the middle part of the pumpkin/ snowman. Once you get a good metal frame going then you can just fill in the middle of the wreath form using the exact same technique. Add a green stem at the top and get creative with leaves and you should have a great decomesh pumpkin. If you have any questions or that just didn’t make sense, feel free to email me Bobbie@ClumsyCrafter.com

6. Thank you so much for the help! Doing a Super Hero wreath with blue and red mesh ribbon for PTA fundraiser. Wish me luck!!

7. Could you give me an idea how much mesh is needed to make one 18 in wreath? These are beautiful and looks very uncomplicated to make. I love them!

8. Where do you fnd the football shapes metal wreaths to start out with? I see the circle ones but I would like the football shaped. Can you help?

9. Chrystal McKinnon says:

Was wondering how much Mesh it took to make that wreath? How much should i buy for a double one like that?

10. I think this has already been asked, but I don’t see the answer. What was the width of the deco mesh that you used? I think I’ve seen them with varying widths, but it seems like the 18″ width would be best???

11. I got the wrong size and don’t want to waste it can it still be made with the 4 in geomesh

12. Hello, love these wreaths but have no idea where to purchase any of the materials. Please help

• I got everything for this wreath at Hobby Lobby. You can also find it at Michael’s Craft Store. Sams club also has decomesh for christmas right now but you’ll have to buy the wreath form and pipe cleaners at a craft store.

13. Hey, what size is your deco mesh 10″ or 21″ and how many yards does it take to go around the form?

14. I LOVE this wreath. Your tutorial is the easiest I’ve read so far. I can’t wait to start a wreath!

15. I LOVE this wreath. Can’t wait to try it myself. Your tuturial is the easiest I’ve seen. Thanks!!

16. Did you use the pipe cleaners all on one row, or do they alternate between the three? I can’t tell if you did one row and then filled in with another?? Sorry, probably a dumb question!

17. Do you think this same concept could be used with tulle? I haven’t worked with it much, but after pricing everything, the tulle was definitely cheaper. What are your thoughts? Thank you so much, the baby shower wreath turned out SUPER cute!

18. Thanks for the tutorial on Deco Wreath, I do a lot of crafts for gifts because of finances, you have made the instructions so easy,NOW I am going to try one. I would love to make them for some of my friends.. People like you are special. God bless and thanks

19. most of the wreaths i saw at MICHAEL’S WERE MADE WITH A STRAW base. i have not seen any tutoriels. can you help.?????????. all i’ve seen have been with the wire. I NOW HAVE LOTS OD STRAW WREATHS. thanks, leslie

20. Awesome!! I wish I could’ve done this for my front door this Christmas! All my decorations were pink!!

21. Oh! Love it! I’m so doing this for V-Day. i’m on it like cronic. Unless that’s a drug, then I’m on it like something else less addictive and illegal.

22. I love it that you showed how to use your own pipe cleaners. All the other instructions I have found use a special form with the wires already attached. Thank you.

23. I was thinking that those washing, shower- puff scrubber thingy’s at Dollar tree could be used instead, and they are only a dollar and available in several colors, just pull it apart and use the same techniques described here.

24. What size of wreath frame did you use? Also how long did you cut your pipe cleaners?

25. you can buy every thing you need to make these wreaths at mardigras outlet.com they also have a blog ,,, this is where i buy all my supplies for deco mesh wreaths they have the frames also at a cheaper price frames start at 3.95 for a 20inch and your mesh starts at 7.25 and up ,,, they also have some cheaper than that

26. Your instructions were great and answers to questions very informational. Great job keeping instructions and answers simple for us beginners! Best instructional blog on any topic I have seen!

27. Gayle Short says:

What was the width or the deco mesh you used on this wreath? Seems it comes in 5-1/2 and 21 inches. How many rolls did you use for double coverage?

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial and answering so many questions,.

Gayle Short

• I used 21 inches. I’ve tried the 5 inches before and it doesn’t get the same volume but it’s great to use as an accent color. This wreath took two rolls.

28. I love it, I need a new colorful wreath for my front door.

29. Carolyn says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial!

30. how did you get polka dots on the initial?

• I just painted them on using a flat paintbrush. You hold one side of it in the middle as a point and just swirl it around to make a polka dot. It’s simple you just have to practice on some paper first until you get the hang of it.

31. Kim Brummett says:

I have 16″ wire wreaths, how much deco mesh should I use? We are using 2 different colors. I though using 5 yards of each color. Do the put the color on the bottom that I want to “pop”?

• I would use two big ones per wreath to get it really full. I would use the base color first and then tuck the color you want to pop down inside the other color.

32. ChaToya Hayden says:

Bobbie:

Do you tie the pipe cleaners in different areas or throughout the wreath? I couldn’t tell if you alternated the rows or they were ALL tied on the outer rim of the wreath. I couldn’t tell by the pix. Thanks for the tutorial!

33. I made a wreath for Christmas and it was red. I just sprayed the wire wreath red and it didn’t show through. Thanks for the post

34. Lisa Walker says:

I have a mesh wreath that got smushed in storage. Any ideas how to revive it?

35. Alisa Brown says:

I am going to attempt to do a Princess one and a Pirate one for my grandkids upcoming birthdays in April/..although I might not use the mesh for the pirate one…Thanks for the tutorial…answered all my questions.

36. What is the best technique if I want to use two alternating colors but want the colors alternating on the same wire layer?

• I would do one layer all the way around and then add the second color, the one that you want to be more dominant and just go around it again.