This morning I received a very hateful comment on this blog. It was not about me, it was about my child. Let me say that I’ve had spiteful comments directed towards me before and I just delete them. But when someone says something aimed at hurting my child, it is not ok.
For awhile this morning I contemplated shutting down the blog because throwing my kids into a situation where they could be hurt, even emotionally, is not something I’m willing to do. But I’m not going to do that because then that person that tried to hurt us won a greater battle than one of just a few words which I deleted with one push of a button.
Even though what I’m going to say will probably not make everyone happy, it’s something that needs to be done.
So let me say;
1. When I share my life on this blog I know I open up my family to criticism or remarks that I will not agree with. I know I can shelter my kids from it by just deleting it before it’s seen. I can’t protect them from all the harmful things that will be told to them in the future by misguided people but I can set an example for them of not backing down but of knowing who I am and what I believe in. Dealing with negative comments is not without hurt and pain but when you know who you are, it’s a lot easier to press delete without a second thought.
2. My children, as are all children, are amazing. If you don’t agree with me, stop reading this blog.
3. If you have a problem with me, please email me directly. If you email me I can respond and we can work it out in private, which is the same courtesy I would afford to you. However if you leave a nameless comment on someone’s blog with no way for them to contact you, you’re just being a bully and are achieving nothing.
4. If you have a problem with one of my children, stop reading this blog.
5. This is my blog. Once upon a time I didn’t want to be the blogger that deleted comments. That has changed. Any comment that is derogatory or oozing with negativity will be deleted. It’s ok to have a respectful disagreement but let’s leave in that keyword, respectful.
That being said, I want to hear your thoughts and comments. I want to build an awesome community within this blog where we can inspire each other towards creativity and a new system of successful yet slightly insane parenting.
If you are one of the main commenters (you know who you are) that are always encouraging and uplifting, thank you.
How will you encourage and lift someone up today?