I love giving little tiny gifts like earrings or gift cards but it is so hard to find a great way to wrap them up to where it seems special. However these little burlap pouches cut into heart shapes and sewn shut once the items are inside make the perfect little gift bag for teachers gifts, gifts for a young child, or even just to lay on a coworkers desk as a surprise. Plus if you make them heart shaped they also make great rustic handmade valentines.
When they person is ready to open it, they simply untie the bow and loosen the string until they can remove the items. Sweet and simple little bags filled with love.
They are super simple to make.
Trace a heart on a double layer of burlap. You need two exact hearts. Cut out the hearts. If you use pinking shears it will create the perfect frayed edge on the burlap. Now use your black permanent maker to decorate the outside of the heart. Permanent marker on burlap is very forgiving so don’t worry about your handwriting being perfect, just have fun and it will look great.
Once you’re done with that thread a large needle with embroidery floss or baker’s twine and start by pushing the needle down from the front of the heart to the back. Make sure you leave a tail to tie a bow with at the end. Don’t knot the end of the thread, just be gentle and it should stay put.
Stitch around the heart but stop when you still have plenty of room to add your gift to the inside of the heart.
Once your gift items are inside, sew it the rest of the way closed and tie it with a tiny bow. The best way to tie a tiny bow is to tie a larger one and keep pulling the strings to make the loops smaller, tightening that and then repeating the steps until you get it small enough.
And if you forget to add any gifts before you sew it shut like I did with this love one, it’s ok! They still make adorable handmade valentines.
Some great gift ideas for inside the bags include;
1) A few quarters and a silver dollar for children.
2) earrings for your wife (hint, hint husbands!).
3) Starbucks gift cards and a few coffee beans for a great teacher’s valentine’s gift.
4) candy for your coworkers.
5) beads and threading string so that little girls could design their own neckalces.
6) Lego pieces for little boys.
There’s so many great possibilities to fill these with. That’s why they are cute and wonderful little pouches to give for valentine’s or any day.
What would you fill them with?
Latest posts by Bobbie Byrd (see all)
- These Are a Few of My Favorite Things – Reading Edition - October 17, 2017
- Fall for Fall Toffee? Christmas Crack With a Twist. - October 13, 2017
- Visiting The Pioneer Woman’s Lodge – Also Known As That Time I Fan Girled It. - October 9, 2017