If you’re looking for a simple and fun activity that doesn’t require too much thought, than this is the perfect craft for you. Earlier this year I showed you painted rocks that we liked to call Love Rocks. We painted hearts on the rocks and left them as valentines for strangers to find around town.
This time we decided to change it up again and paint on black rocks with white paint to create fun contrast.
Painting rocks is just a simple craft. All you need are rocks, acrylic paint and a small paint brush.
Painting on rocks is easy but there’s a few tips that might help you out:
- Use the smallest paint brush you own.
- You can also use toothpicks, Qtips or the end of the paintbrush handle to make dots.
- Keep it simple. Rocks are small and any designs will be miniscule. Simple designs such as shapes or dots are the easiest to paint.
- If the rock is shiny the paint can come off easily. Let it cure for 72 hours before using or give it a light spray with clear sealant.
We don’t just paint rocks for fun. The kids and I like to paint them with a motive.
Painted rocks are a great way to bless people with a simple act of kindness. We leave the rocks around our town on the side of walking trails, sitting on a bench or on the bridge handrail.
Hopefully people will be drawn to the rock’s designs and then pick them up to find simple messages on the other side.
These rocks are our way to help brighten a stranger’s day. It’s a cheap and simple way to reach out to people that you may never see but might just need a kind word that day.
Maybe it’s time to gather some rocks out of your yard or in the floral department of a hobby store and sit down with your kids to paint while you talk about how to give back to others.
Painted rocks – they rock.
Latest posts by Bobbie Byrd (see all)
- So You Wanna Do DIY Tile? - January 17, 2017
- Easy Heart Tote Bag – Perfect for Valentine’s Day! - January 11, 2017
- This Too Shall Pass But It Might Pass Like a Kidney Stone – Gift Idea and Free Cut File - January 6, 2017