1. Reorganize your fridge and freezer –In order to keep your food frozen or cool you need to move the items closer to each other. A tightly packed fridge or freezer can save food for up to two days but a bare fridge will only keep food safely cool for about half a day.
- Move all items off of the doors and onto the shelves, tightly packed together.
- If you have large open spaces and expect your power to be out for more than a few hours pack those areas with newspaper.
- If you have two freezers, put your high priority items in one freezer and your easier/cheaper to replace items in the other freezer. The high priority freezer should be packed as tightly as possible and never opened until power is restored.
- Move any food that can be frozen, such as milk and meat, from the refrigerator to the freezer to keep it at a safe temperature for longer.