Except when you do.
1. I bought The Avengers movie today for Mr. Byrd. He declared me to be “the best wife ever”. Don’t get too excited. He also declares me as the best wife ever when I buy his favorite brand of tortilla chips (Santinos), mow the yard, or change dirty diapers. I feel like the bar is not set too high. Also I’m his only wife, therefore if I am not the best one that he has, we have problems. Big problems.
2. Our puppy, Cooper, is a panty hoarder. After finishing every single piece of laundry last week one of the older girls had the gumption to tell me that she couldn’t find any underwear. I just told them to look wherever they hid all the clothes that I had told them to put up and walked away. Problem solved, or not. Later that same day while looking under my bed for a lost shoe, I saw a very large stack of tiny underwear. I reached in to grab them and the dog crawled in between my arm and underwear while giving me that, “I’ve done something very bad” look. I had to physically push him out of the way to retrieve the 10+ pairs of clean dora, unicorn, and rainbow underwears. He has a big problem. Now I’m having to do daily checks for underwear piles in the house.
3. Houston is still extremely warm. Everyday I sit down and browse blogs and pinterest that are teeming with ideas for fall. People sipping on Pumpkin Spice Lattes while bundled up in fluffy cardigans, colorful leaves in the background. Then I walk outside and break into a sweat before I reach my van. It’s just plain cruel.
4. The number one way to see all your neighbors on one night is to dress like a bum and mow your yard / clean out your flower beds. When you’re thoroughly red faced with huge dirt splotches across your face you will finally see the reclusive neighbor from across the street, the new neighbor from your right side, the perfectly polished neighbor from your left side and if you’re really lucky even your british neighbor from the house caddy corner to yours. I promise. Test this theory yourself. The second you go outside and stand in your yard for a few hours with perfect hair, make up and spot free outfit, you will see no one at all. You probably won’t even see your kids because moms outside! Quick go raid her make up drawer and put on a gallon of her perfume!
5. Princess Newbie is Dora obsessed. We have Dora dolls, Dora cups, Dora blankets and watch Dora where ever we go, thanks to Netflix. The last week she’s been sleeping in a Dora tent on the floor of her room. Every night when she goes to bed she has a checklist of things she asks for. “Where’s my hug? Where’s my wepord (leopard), where’s my fwashlight (flashlight), where’s my tiss (kiss)? I so want her to stop growing. I secretly want them all to stop growing. Life with kids is good. Challenging, but good.
I’m off to watch Switched at Birth, my current TV obsession. I am going to watch Downtown Abbey soon after my sister Laura keeps raving about it. Anyone else watch that show? What’s your favorite TV show? Let’s not mention the show that rhymes with guney loo loo.